Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Can I Get Money Off Other Joint Guarantors for Loan?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by john muir, 22 November 2014.

1. john muir

john muir Member

I went to a guarantor for a loan agreement. Four others signed as well. Can I pursue them to help pay the loan under commercial law? I had no financial gain from the business.

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Guarantors are pursued by the creditor (usually the bank) when the debtor defaults on a payment. Why would you be getting the other guarantors to pay the creditor now? Are you the debtor?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. john muir

john muir Member

I had to pay loan off. It is actually only one person I'm interested in getting money from. Am told Imight be able to get civil action against him.

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I would say you have an action for co-contribution toward the debt from the other co-guarantors. Therefore, you can seek indemnity from the other guarantors and from the debtor him/herself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tim W likes this.
  5. john muir

john muir Member

Thanks, that gives us a little bit of hope. Guess we'll have to see someone in person now. Thanks again, john.