VIC Can I Enforce Neighbour to Pay for Car Damages?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SSJ

28 September 2016
My neighbour reversed into my car last week. He said he would pay for the damages. I went and got a quote which was $800. He obviously didn't want to pay that. We agreed on a lower amount, $600, through a payment plan and I could use the money for what I want.

So far, he won't pay anything. He has come to me twice now saying 'next pay'. I have a feeling he is going to drag it out and won't pay.

I am going to give him a written down payment plan though, with $150 fortnightly in four instalments and see what he says. But he is also avoiding me and when I go knock on the door, he just ignores me.

Can I legally enforce him to pay? How do I go about it? There isn't anything written down besides the plan I just wrote up and am trying to give him.

SSJ

28 September 2016
Update: they are now refusing that they dented my car but only "scratched it". They are just trying to get out of paying. I have a photo from after the accident that shows the scratch marks and impact. And today they lined up their car to show they couldn't have done it. It clearly shows they did and they still denied it.

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hi SSJ,

Would you like to make an appointment and discuss your options? Your neighbour has clearly damaged your car and is now attempting to avoid all responsibility.

Legally, you have a number of avenues through which you pursue your neighbour and recover the costs involved in rectifying the damage that he has caused. Given the minor damage, low cost methods such as VCAT can be pursued.

Please feel free to contact me via the link Matthew Karakoulakis, Lawyer, AMK Law - Melbourne, VIC - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly to make an appointment.

Yours faithfully,