VIC Can I be declared Next of Kin?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

charlotte4566

22 January 2022
My deceased relative (father's cousin) in Northern Ireland had assets in Australia. He died many years ago and left a will with his brother-in-law and his lawyer in Northern Ireland as Executors. The brother-in-law collected the Australian and Northern Irish assets many years ago (in Australia they were shares in a bank) and the Executor (and his wife) died several years ago. More than 10 years ago I discovered a (small) amount of money in my relative's name sitting in unclaimed funds (it was shares in a bank as well) and no one has claimed it.

Is it possible for me to have myself declared Next of Kin and claim that money? The lawyer named in the Will is long dead as well, but the firm he worked for in Northern Ireland is still in existence. Is the law firm still entitled to collect the unclaimed money as part of my relative's "residual estate"?

I was in the process of having myself declared next of Kin when the Australian Supreme Court Probate surfaced on Ancestry. The amount in Unclaimed Assets looks to have been part of the Assets that were paid out in 2006. I don't know why some was left unclaimed.