VIC Can I Apply to Court for Traffic Infringement Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anil Kumar

4 April 2017
Offence: I have received a traffic infringement notice for exceeding the speed limit by 30Km/hr.driving at 70Km/hr on a 40Km/hr zone on Western Ring road in Glenroy, Vic.

Background: I live in NSW & went to Victoria for work and was driving back to the airport at the time of offence. I have always had a clean driving record for almost 10 years and have never exceeded the speed limits.

Western Ring Road is a freeway with a higher speed limit. I still can't believe that I can drive so much over the limit. The best reason that I can think of is that I might have missed a road work sign before the speed camera.

Question: Based on the above facts, can I apply for a court hearing...will it be considered? What else can you suggest?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Anyone can apply for a court hearing however the mandatory minimum license loss is one month (25-34 over the limit).
The courts have no discretion.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Anil
If you don't fight it then the outcome is guaranteed. By trying to resist the charge you have a chance (even if slim) so it is probably worth having a go.
Regards