QLD Can Guardian Open and Manage Bank Account for Disabled Brother?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Enza Denino

9 June 2017
I have an adult disabled brother who can't consent to a power of attorney. We are transitioning to the NDIS and need to open a bank account in my disabled brother's name for the funds to go in to, my dad is looking to apply for guardianship and administration. How straight forward is it? Does he need to go to court? Is it possible they could reject him?

Also can an administrator of a disabled child open and manage their bank account? Lastly, how long does the application process take? The NDIA never informed us about any of this and it's coming in one month, if my dad doesn't have administration by then my brother won't be able to get support.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I don't have any experience with this NDIS, but it might be worth finding out whether he needs an account in his name, or whether a bank account held by someone as trustee for him will suffice. The process of getting an account opened with a bank can be torturous, so finding out exactly what you can and can't use before speaking to the bank may help shortcut things.

Whichever option you use, but particularly if you're looking at the second one, make sure to ask the bank exactly what they will require to open the account. Since the advent of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing 'Know Your Customer' obligations, banks have become even more security conscious - and that translates into more hoops to jump through.

If you're going to look at one of the bigger banks, I'd also suggest trying to get past the 'counter staff' when doing so. They tend to be very formulaic in their thinking, and reluctant to deviate from the safe and straight forward. Mind you, you could strike the right person and have no problems.

Reactions: Lance