VIC Can gifts be taken off me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Willow Z

27 May 2017
My boyfriend broke it off with me yesterday after a tumultuous 10 month relationship, he had extreme trust issues for which he declares were valid since I had still been friends with a few ex’s on Facebook (said ex’s were from over 15 years ago and have since been unfriended by me so to keep the peace) even though I was/still am madly in love him and I have never even contemplated being with another man!

Anyway around 2 months into our relationship he gave me a beautiful $800 ring and a $400 white gold bracelet as gifts, he said he wanted to give me them due to all the suffering I’d been through in recent years (being my daughter father/my ex’s abuse against me during our relationship) as I opened myself up to him and told him what I’d been through! I did not want his pity or for him to feel obliged to give me any gifts! In August he paid for flights and accommodation for himself my daughter and I to stay at the Gold Coast for 7 days, he insisted that he wanted my daughter and I to have a beautiful and memorable holiday, it was one of if not the loveliest thing anyone had ever done for me!

So my law question is that after he let me know it was over between us he told me it’s the right thing to do is to give back HIS ring and bracelet! He demanded them off me as I was leaving his house but I refused, he said why on earth would you want to keep jewellery from someone who hates me!!! He had had a falling out with my mum (whom my daughter and I live with) a few weeks ago due to his trust issues and general poor emotional treatment of me. My mum said he was never welcome to stay at her home again and that if I wanted to spend time with him then I need to move in with him! So that occurring made things really strained for our relationship, I have been so sad but still tried my hardest to spend time with him when I could. But he had started a profile on a dating site not long after his disagreement with my mum and cruelly sent me screenshots of his communications with the women he was chatting too, as he reckoned I was cheating on him! When I damn well was not!!

He has also said he’s going to sue me for for half the cost of the holiday too! And that the police (or a few of his mates) would be around to my house to take HIS Jewellery off me to return them to him! He also sent me a text this morning filled with lies to discredit me and said that he is going to call DOCS and report me for being a drug using alcoholic when I am not, yes I take prescription anti anxiety medication and like to drink in moderation but I am not a junkie! I am just so hurt and scared of what he may do, I loved this man so much and so does my daughter but I just wished he would stop accusing me of things I didn’t do behind his back!

I’m sorry this is so long but I’m genuinely wondering if I really have to return the gifts and pay for half the holiday costs which he insisted was another gift?? I love the jewellery he gave me and apart from the untrusting times I had with him I still loved him dearly, and like a fool I still do.