Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Can federal circuit court force an adult to stay

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Ruby1jane, 29 July 2017.

1. Ruby1jane

Ruby1jane Member

I am currently going through the federal circuit court re parenting arrangements. I am wanting to know if the courts can actually force a parent to stay in nsw when i am from interstate and where both parents lived for years and where the child was born. I am wanting to go back interstate(where my career is) with or without the child, can the courts force me to stay. Some lawyers state they cant force but then i have heard yes they can.

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

The Court doesn't often impose on a person's right to freedom of movement, but it can restrict relocation of a child, rather than the parent.

Some more common outcomes are that Parent A can relocate to X State with the child and the child sees Parent B, or if Parent A stays in Y State, the child lives with Parent A and sees Parent B, or if Parent A relocates to X State, the child stays with Parent B and sees Parent A.

If Parent A is the non-resident parent, though, the Court is unlikely to restrict their right to relocate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ruby1jane likes this.
  3. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

The court will generally only restrict a parent if it is in the best of the child. There are not many cases where this holds true.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ruby1jane likes this.