NSW Can federal circuit court force an adult to stay

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Samantha-Jane

2 June 2017
I am currently going through the federal circuit court re parenting arrangements. I am wanting to know if the courts can actually force a parent to stay in nsw when i am from interstate and where both parents lived for years and where the child was born. I am wanting to go back interstate(where my career is) with or without the child, can the courts force me to stay. Some lawyers state they cant force but then i have heard yes they can.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The Court doesn't often impose on a person's right to freedom of movement, but it can restrict relocation of a child, rather than the parent.

Some more common outcomes are that Parent A can relocate to X State with the child and the child sees Parent B, or if Parent A stays in Y State, the child lives with Parent A and sees Parent B, or if Parent A relocates to X State, the child stays with Parent B and sees Parent A.

If Parent A is the non-resident parent, though, the Court is unlikely to restrict their right to relocate.

Reactions: Samantha-Jane

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The court will generally only restrict a parent if it is in the best of the child. There are not many cases where this holds true.

Reactions: Samantha-Jane