SA Can Father Force Me to Change Handover Location Under Family Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rebecca14

30 December 2015
Hello,

I could really use some help. Final orders were made in my family law matter in Aug 2014 and since then my son's Father has continually harassed and bullied me in the attempt to change handover location to make it closer to him. Can he force me to change location?

Thanks in advance

sammy01

27 September 2015
What sort of distances are you talking?

I'd suggest you tell him when he asks that you're going to comply with the orders and if he has a problem with that, then he can apply to court. Just repeat, repeat, repeat.

Look family law aside - you just gotta learn to not let your silly ex get to you.... My kid turned 7 last week.... The ex was meant to let me talk to him. Didn't happen.... Not worth making a fuss...

Reactions: Rebecca14

Rebecca14

30 December 2015
Thank you. Yes, it's constant petty stuff and I ignore 99%. But the constant harassment is becoming unbearable. Changing the handover location would make the trip a little over an hour whereas it's currently only 20mins.

I just didn't know where I stood legally with the handover location and the harassment.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Why? Generally, court orders see the change over happen roughly half way between locations.
So presumably he travels 1 hour and 20 min at the moment... So why isn't change over half way and why is he doing the majority of the travel.

Please, please don't tell me that you didn't move an hour further away and are now telling him he has to do all the travel because of your decision to move and because the orders stipulate a specific change over the location. Because if that is the situation then I reckon it is a bit crook...

My ex moved 6 hours away. I agreed to meet half way. Now if she moved to there, according to the orders, I'd have to do all the travel. That would suck and be unfair. If my ex tried that, I'd pick up the kids there - But I'd be telling her that she can drive the 3 hours down the coast to pick them up. So we wind up doing roughly the same travel.

Doing half the travel is fair.

Rebecca14

30 December 2015
I understand what you're saying. He was the one who moved an hour away. Handover location was changed closer to him but he's now not happy with that. I just wanted to know where I stand legally and if the harrassment is reportable to the police.