NSW Can employer change previously granted LSL

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ron tosser

24 August 2019
LSL was granted at 2 days per week for 6 months. Mid way through leave Employer 'amended ' leave so that this was used at 5 days per week. This was done without permission or consultation. Can this be done legally?
LSL has now run out leaving me with no income for the next two months.
What can I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Tell them they have no right to do what they did.

tinytim

27 August 2019
Who manages your LSL?
LSL acruals are not usually managed by your employer so they cannot change the agreement.

tinytim

27 August 2019
Seems like a pretty straight forward process.
Step 1 An application for LSL must be in writing, specifying the start and end dates, and whether the leave is on full pay or half pay. Step 2 Check the employee’s leave balance on the payroll to confirm that he/she has sufficient leave entitlements. Step 3 The principal approves or refuses the leave. Step 4 Notify the employee in writing of the details of the leave.

Step 4 should have you holding the 'agreement' in writing.

I'm not a lawyer but I don't see it leaving much wiggle room for either party. But, with the increased rate of leave (2 days to 5 days per week) have you not already been paid out?

Ron tosser

24 August 2019
I had the agreement in writing ( +a copy).
They removed the original from my record!
Paid LSL at 5 days per week and used my remaining 22 days LsL. No consultation, or approval or in fact notication. I found out by chance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Send something in writing, with a copy of the agreement. Make sure you do not lose the agreement.

Be persistent and polite, do not attack them, and see how you go. Might take a few months to sort out and keep escalating within DET.