ACT Serving Divorce Papers Via Email or Facebook?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ronnie

29 November 2015
My partner and I have been together for 14 years and he has been separated from his wife for 15 years. He hasn't spoken to her for the last 6 years or so, and we have no idea where she lives. One of her friends contacted me via Facebook a few months ago to suggest it was about time my partner divorced his ex.

I manage to find his ex on Facebook and sent her a message to say if she wanted a divorce she just had to ask and let us know her address so we could send the divorce papers. She wants a divorce but won't give her address for the papers to be sent via post. Can we send her the papers via messenger on Facebook?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Has your ex checked electoral rolls and phone books for his ex's address? If you still cannot find an address to personally serve his ex (he won't be able to personally serve her - he will need to get someone over 18 to do it) or to post it to his ex (it should only be posted if he is sure she will send it back then he will have to apply to the court to get substituted service by email accepted).

N Knight

27 December 2015
Hi,
You will need to file an application in a case - seeking substituted service on her via Facebook/email.
More and more Registrars are getting tech savvy