SA Can Criminal Prosecution be Dropped?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nadine2017

21 June 2017
I'm being prosecuted at the Magistrates court by Water Corporation for water catchment area under Regulation 35(1) of the Water Services Regulations 2013, made under the Water Services Act 2012. The maximum fine is $2500.

At the time of caution, I was asked to make a statement and have my picture taken. I do not deny being there, but I am not guilty of intentionally being in a catchment area, as I did not see any signs stating otherwise as I was the passenger in the back of a 4WD, which was 3rd to drive in (the dust blocked the sign).

While I understand why would issue a fine, I do not understand why an infringement was not sent and why criminal conviction is required. I am a graduating psychology student, and the issue of a criminal record prevents my career path.

Can the criminal prosecution be dropped if there is an agreement to pay the fine? The date is set for July 11th. If there is anyone in WA that thinks I have a chance of pleading not guilty please also mention your firm.

Thanks