VIC Can Court Force Priests to be Witnesses?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marian

9 February 2016
I have a family law hearing soon. I needed a witness from the only two witnesses who attended some events related to the matter. Both are priests. They said that the rules of their church say that they shouldn't participate or produce any documents related to legal matters.

I am about to lose my right and the rights of my kids because their negative attitude. Does the court have the right to force them to talk?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Priest-Penitent privilege exists widely across the world. In Victoria, the protection extends only to confessions. In regard to your particular question. More information would be needed.

Was the evidence that you're seeking to admit made during a confession? See s127 Evidence Act (VIC) for more information.

Marian

9 February 2016
It wasn't confession at all and both priests know and said that, the problem is the bishop ordered the priests not to witness and if they did so they will be punished.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Reactions: Hayder Shkara

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The Bishop may well be breaking the law himself if he interferes with a witness that has been subpoenaed.

You'd think by now that Bishops would clearly understand they are no longer above civil and criminal law. Sad :(

Reactions: Hayder Shkara

kimsland

6 February 2017
Separation of church and state and secular law is part of Australia.

"Can Court Force Priests to be Witnesses?"

Of course.

I'm amazed you asked actually. I think some people still feel the church have special powers, they don't :)