QLD Can companies disclose your full name in public forums

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danny E.

2 June 2017
I wrote an honest google review and gave a well earned 1 star rating. A real estate company principal called my wife at work and mentioned he had all our information and can put our full names on the review in a response. I have no idea what he thought that would accomplish. It's more annoying than threatening, but we prefer to remain somewhat anonymous. Is that allowed and am I allowed to mention his name and all the bizarre behavior we experienced from him and his company. I never mentioned names in the original review. He even felt the need to mention how only people from my nationality gave him 1 star reviews.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Unless his business has a turnover of $3 million or more, they're probably not covered by the Privacy Act (there are exceptions, but I don't see any of them applying here). There may be something contractual in the agreements you entered into with them. Or, they may have voluntarily adopted the legislated privacy requirements - but this is probably unlikely given their conduct.

I agree with your point about having no idea what he thinks he will accomplish. Any business that's going to make an 'example' out of their customers by publishing their details will likely start losing customers quickly.

You may publish his name and behaviour, but be extremely careful in doing so as you don't want to run the risk of defamation.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Danny,
A few people on here recently have posted issues with reporting low ratings on various forums. I fear in most cases people do it because they are upset and feel it helps them vent. But as you would expect service providers only want ratings when they are good and for fear that bad ratings will affect their business they get very nasty in response. I would suggest that the realtor has threatened you so that you take down the 1 star rating or they will retaliate. If it were me I would take down the 1 star rating and be done with them.