VIC Can Boss Take Excess for Car Accident from My Pay?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Geordie

5 April 2017
I work at a site where large vehicles are cleaned and cars are detailed. 95% of the vehicles belong to car dealers and being prepared for sale. On Thursday afternoon, I had an accident on site where 2 vehicles were damaged. (Total repair cost $3000, excess $1000, and the loss of one of the dealer contracts).

Being a casual, my boss sent me home and I haven't been back to work since. I should have been paid for the previous week on either the Thurs or Fri but as yet 6 days on I haven't been paid and I don't believe I will receive the pay I am owed for last week as well.

According to my boss I am to pay the excess ($1000) and small amount he loaned me in January ($500) so is going to take this out of my pay. He is currently out of the country at a conference and has stated we will deal with this when he gets back.

Can he do this under Employment Law?

Thanks in advance

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Geordie,

Do you have a copy of your employment contract? It sounds a bit harsh that a casual employee gets hit with $1000 excess in a job that involves moving vehicles in tight locations all day long. My understanding is that they shouldn't withhold pay unless it is agreed that they will deduct those costs noted.