QLD Can a Shopping Centre Have Your Car Towed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AnnaC

4 January 2018
I'm staff at a large Qld shopping centre. Had a notice put on my car today from centre management stating my car had been identified as staff and could not park in customer designated parking.

If my car is in customer parking section again, I would have my car towed at cost of $450?

There are no signs up to identify staff or customer parking, there are no tow away signs - there are no signs at all.

Is this legal? Can they tow staff cars in a car park where they work?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
This is an extremely dicey and contested aspect, and can depend on the notices and agreements in place. The issue centres on contract law, but also touches on torts (particularly trespass). I would assume you have been made aware (at least verbally, but also probably in writing) that staff members are not permitted to park in the customer designated parking areas? That's generally not an idle threat, and you I think you should count yourself lucky they gave you a warning.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
I would approach Centre Management just where the hell they expect you to park if you cannot use the facilities like a normal person.
Apparently the Habourtown group is pretty good at these kind of threats.