Can a man have a girlfriend if he and his wife are in a separation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

snow

17 January 2019
Hi everyone,

Can you please advise me whether a man can have a girlfriend if he and his wife are in a separation ? Is it legal in Australia?

They are just living under the one roof to take care of their children only, otherwise all income and finnance...are separated.

Im not living in Australia so I dont know much about those rules, Can anyone please help me?

Thank you so much!

Joe Black

9 January 2019
yes and from what I understand you can actually be engaged too. Engagement is a promise to marry.

Reactions: snow

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can have as many girlfriends at the same time as you can afford. Just don't expect to own any property afterwards.

Joe Black

9 January 2019
The Earl of Bath in the UK has a wife and many many 'wifelets'
In Thailand you can have a wife and a mini wife
France is a wife and a mistress
Same for Australian Politian's is my understanding.

Reactions: canberradad

snow

17 January 2019
Thank you guys,

Ofcourse you can have as many girlfriends as long as you can afford.

But I meant to ask if it is legal or not, AUS law allows that or it will be like having an affair if just being separated and still going with an other girl....

Lennon

11 September 2014
It is legal to have a wife and a girlfriend, or as many girlfriends or boyfriends as you want (even if you are married).

It is illegal to have more than one husband or wife. That is an offence known as bigamy.

Reactions: canberradad

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Okay, I'll throw a spanner in the works and say that "technically", the answer is "No".

The reason is the definition of "marriage" in the Commonwealth Marriage Act 1961:

"marriage means the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life."

So "technically", you can't have a relationship with another person while you are still married. :eek:

Reactions: snow