QLD Divorce - Can I Claim Back Premiums from Insurance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jamesa4150

28 June 2017
I have had my wife insured for over 30 years. We divorced in 2012. I've now heard that I can't benefit from her death as we are now divorced. Is this correct? If so, can I claim back the premiums I've paid since the divorce?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi James,

Sorry you made me laugh. So you have kept paying life insurance on your ex-wife for the past 5 years in the hope that if she passes away you can profit from her death. I believe the policy will be paid out to a named beneficiary regardless of relationship.

That said, if you are paying it and your ex-wife isn't aware you still have it (all correspondence is sent to your house) the payout may be able to be challenged. Basically it could be argued she wasn't aware and wasn't provided an opportunity to nominate a new beneficiary.

Your best bet is to speak with your ex and get an agreement in writing. Also contact your insurer and just check they don't have any terms and conditions that prevent payout to an ex-spouse.

Jamesa4150

28 June 2017
Well if she's dead the insurance company can't ask her if she knew the policy is still current. We had each other insured. She cancelled her policy on me many years ago, but I never
cancelled my policy on her life. Why should she nominate a new beneficiary?

It's my policy. I make the payments.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi James,
I disagree its not your policy, you may pay the premiums but its taken out against the life of your ex-partner. Why wouldn't she want money against her life paid to a beneficiary of her choosing. I can see you are going to be difficult to convince here....... If I took a life insurance policy out on my neighbour, well could I do that no. You were only able to take out the policy with your ex's consent, so surely it makes sense that you should only be able to maintain it with her consent.

I would be very nervous if an ex had a policy out on me. Someone that is no longer emotionally vested in my life but would profit from my death........