Buyer wants refund!

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Emi13

19 December 2020
Hi,
I recently sold a ring on gumtree the advertisement I placed had lots of photos and a description, the ring was in beautiful condition. The lady who bought it wanted me to send it to her in a bubble bag and with out the ring box to save costs. While I was at the post office arranging it I was 8nformed that the ring should not be sent in this way and should be sent in the box along with appropriate packaging and should also be insured however the buyer did not wish to do this so I sent it as per her request. The buyer contacts me after she received it to tell me all the stones in the ring have smashed and she is going to send it back to me. She wants a full refund for the ring and for me to reimburse her for the cost of sending it back. I offered her a partial refund only and said I would not pay for the postage as the damage Screenshot_2020-12-19-20-25-58-214_com.google.android.gm.jpg was caused by having the ring sent in that way without proper protection. She is now saying she will be seeking police action and reporting me to gumtree. I have already contacted gumtree myself but I was told they couldn't tell me to refund or not. What do I do? Do I have to refund her? What are my rights?

Last edited: