VIC Business owner disclosed my home address

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

willipy

2 January 2019
G'day all,

I'm having some problem with a tradie I hired to do some work at my property. In general, he refused to fix some defects and some damages he caused to the property.
I left a negative review about him on his site, and he published the address of my property in his response to my review.

I'd like to know, please, are there any laws or acts that protect me from publishing my home address without my consent, and which court handles such cases? I'm in VIC. Appreciate any information.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
In regard to the review, see my response here:
QLD - bullied to remove honest review

For the second part, I would think that publishing your address would be a breach of privacy depending on whether or not there is a contract that allows it. I'll leave that one to the experts to answer.

On a personal note, considering that he has already published the address, I would be tempted to invite readers to come and see the work he does for themselves - I bet he wouldn't be happy about that at all. But I wouldn't recommend this for obvious reasons.