Business Name - Exemption from Registering - Include Pty Ltd?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ted Sherwood

24 December 2014
When the business names legislation says that you are exempt from having to register a business name "if you are an already registered Australian company and your operating name is the same as your company's name", does this mean that the operating name has to include the 'Pty Ltd' or similar?.

S

Sophea

No not necessarily. For example, if your company was "Brighton Bricks Pty Ltd" you could operate as Brighton Bricks. However as a company, there are requirements for you to display your company name and ACN at on most company documents anyway.

Ted Sherwood

24 December 2014
Now I'm a little confused. Forget any legislation other than that which I cited. Are you saying that if I had a company Brighton Bricks Pty Ltd, I would not need to register a business name if I operated as either Brighton Bricks Pty Ltd or Brighton Bricks? If so, what is your support for this belief?

Ted Sherwood

24 December 2014
Thanks, Well-Known-Member Sophea. I think from this that the answer to my original question is 'Yes', which contradicts your example of 'Brighton Bricks' being an OK operating name (without registration) for 'Brighton Bricks Pty Ltd'. Or am I still missing something?