WA Business directories and their rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
2 July 2019
Hi everyone,

My business is listed by an online business directory (similar to yellow pages). I never signed up on their website. The entry of my business there has basic information, possibly copied over from google profile. Can they do it without my permission? I know I can "claim the business" which would give me control over this entry and would allow me to update the info, but the question is can people just use publicly available data to create such entries on their business directory websites? What's the rule here. Thank you.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There's possibly an angle, but it's not worth it. As you said the data is publicly available, and so long as the information is correct they're not trying to pass themselves off or perpetrate a fraud. In a lot of instances this type of thing is used as an attempt to extort advertising fees out of businesses - so if that hasn't happened, they're most likely harmless and better off ignored.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with Rob.