VIC Builder install Camera in my property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jacksonyeo

10 April 2019
Hi Everyone

Need help of legal advise.

i have building contract with a builder to build an extension to my existing home. The entrance of the extension is through my existing home. its now at the completion stage and the builder has sealed off the entrance to the new side from my existing home and a window was remove for use as an entrance. Due to defects disputes, he has installed a gaming motion detection camera pointing at this window(Entrance.) So whenever i walk pass, it will take a picture of family on my property. He says he has the right to install the camera as its a construction site.

But this is still my property. do they have the right to install this camera on my property taking my picture without my permission? is this against any law?

Please help. Thank you

LolaJax

13 June 2018
I think we need more information.

Are you currently residing at the house where the extension is being built?
Is the camera installed on your property using your power?
Because of the dispute, has the builder stopped working at your property?
Does the builder have tools or materials stored at the property?

Jacksonyeo

10 April 2019
I think we need more information.

Are you currently residing at the house where the extension is being built? Yes.
Is the camera installed on your property using your power? Yes
Because of the dispute, has the builder stopped working at your property? We are waiting for the defects report from inspector. so now no work being done.
Does the builder have tools or materials stored at the property?
No.its at completion stage. No

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Check your builders contract.

Then if allowance is there have him re-position the camera so it doesn't point into your part of the dwelling. Or just hang a sheet across the doorway.