VIC Bought Car with Faulty Aircon - Can I Get Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Qazwsx

18 December 2017
Hi all,

Bought a new car from dealership, but found that the aircon was not working on the day of pick up. Can I ask a refund or replacement of the car?

Sales said they will get it fixed and delivered to my door, but I just worry this would or might become a continuous problem. What action should I take and what I can do to avoid problems?

Thanks.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Let them fix the problem and see what happens from there. This is insufficient grounds to refund/replace the car, and at the moment you're jumping at shadows.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Let them fix the problem and see what happens from there. This is insufficient grounds to refund/replace the car, and at the moment you're jumping at shadows.

Legally you are correct but he is not jumping at shadows because everyone knows dealers often do the bare minimum just to get things working but its not actually fixed properly at all and you have NO WAY of knowing.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Just as you have no way of knowing that they will do the 'bare minimum', rather than fixing the issue properly. While you may suspect it, it is really just a form of prejudice.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Just as you have no way of knowing that they will do the 'bare minimum', rather than fixing the issue properly. While you may suspect it, it is really just a form of prejudice.

Well, really, all you can do is research the reputation of the company on the internet.... but wont change anything now, (might give you piece of mind if its positive) do that before you buy! ...