NSW Bought a bad car from private seller - what can I do ?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robert755

2 September 2021
Hi Guys ,
I bought a car from a private seller 2 days ago. I made an inspection and checked everything , also did a test drive - I had the car with absolutely the same engine before , so I could easily compare. Everything was fine , I just found leaking shocks and faulty reverse camera , so we have negotiated the price little bit .
On my way home ( approx 40minutes drive ) on the same day of purchase, the car broke down , engine light went off and car is not drivable, I didn’t even make it back home .
I send the pictures to seller straight away , but he said he never had any issues .
On next day , mechanic came with code reader and found out , that someone has done some work on faulty cylinder already, there was some dodgy spark plug , absolutely different type than rest of them .
I called the seller, but he kept saying he didn’t know about it and said they changed the plugs 2 months ago at the service , I called the service and they said they did only basic stuff like oil , filters … so someone else might change the spark plugs …
Basically oil is leaking in to the cylinder, it’s major engine fault , that causes car collapse, Repair would cost around 7000$
I tested the car , we replaced the dodgy spark plug and car drives fine , you can’t absolutely say , that something is wrong for appeox 60km , then when oil gets on the spark plug , engine light goes off and car is not drivable.
So even , if I think they just installed new dodgy spark plug just a moment before the sale , I can’t prove it …. They will say , that didn’t know about it , for sure . A also tried to ask them , if they would like to split the bill for a repair between us , but they keep saying , that car was in perfect working condition.
I still haven’t transfer the car on my name . Just wanted to ask you , if I have any legal rights , or something I can do ….
I don’t want to let it go , but also don’t wanna spend thousands of dollars for legal advices/ courts etc , if there is very low chance of win . Please , if you think , there is something I could do .
Let me know ,
Thanks
Dan