SA Bought a 2nd hand car from a licensed dealer privately but receipt is form 5 - car died

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chef

25 July 2019
Bought a 2nd hand car on Tuesday from a private seller selling under his licensed second hand business. The receipt is a form 5 second hand dealers act 1995 receipt. He crossed out the 2 day cooling of info on the receipt.
Less than 24 hours after pick up the car stops working going around a round a bout. Called raa, they didn’t know. So I called the guy I bought it off and asked for a full refund. He refused and said he’ll fix it no matter the problem ( he’s got a mechanic he uses). After a while I said ok.
The next day he calls and says it’s the transmission and needs full replacement, it’s going to cost $2500-$3000. So I said just to confirm...”your paying for the full cost aren’t you” he replied “ can you help out a bit, maybe $1000” I said no, we can’t afford this, we had to get a loan for the car and now are already paying for a rental car. He said ok. Where do I stand. What do I do? I’m currently waiting to hear once they find a transmission.

Chef

25 July 2019
Am I covered by the second hand dealers act 1995 since he sold it from his house but said he was a licensed dealer a sells from his house and the receipt is a form 5.