NSW Body Corporate Property - Pool Used by Non-Residents?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DD1

28 July 2015
We live in a housing estate with a body corporate where the pool is for use for residents only. We pay every quarter for having access to this pool as owners of a house in this estate. However there are a lot of non-residents using this pool, quite often being very noisy.

Just two days ago we had non-residents use the pool with a baby who pooped in the pool, messed up the sink area with poo when trying to clean the baby and leaving poo on the ground. All I get is FU when I tell them they are trespassing. They say they have family living on the estate who told them they can use the pool...

Is there anything we paying residents can do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
First step is to clarify the body corporate rules around pool usage.

I'd imagine that the lot owner whose guests left faeces would be responsible for the clean up costs.

Talk to your body corporate, get the rules around use of common property. If necessary you might have to propose some rule changes.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Even if you made the rules more strict it is never going to feel like or be like or be as good as a private pool.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...However there are a lot of non-residents using this pool, quite often being very noisy.
Are they visitors/ guests of residents?
Or are they strangers "off the street"?