Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Binding Financial Agreement While Partner is on Student Visa?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Sjk, 28 April 2016.

1. Sjk

Sjk Member

Hi all,

I'm after some help re Binding Financial Agreements. I've been dating an overseas student ( student visa holder) for 1 year and we're about to move in together. Hopefully, if things go well, we will apply for a spouse visa in a year's time. Naturally, I want to safeguard my assets (house, cash and superannuation) and would like to enter into a Binding Financial Agreement with her. Is this something that can be entered into while she is still on a student visa?

And if it can be entered into, is this even necessary while she is still on a student visa ? i.e. am I at risk if things don't work out between us say in 6 or 12 months and no Binding Financial Agreement was made.

Many thanks

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Hi sjk,

The only real prerequisites to entering into a binding financial agreement is that the parties are ordinarily living in Australia and are a couple who are cohabiting or intending to cohabit. See: Binding Financial Agreement (De Facto Pre Cohabitation) WA - Legal Documents - LawAnswers.com.au

You will only need to rely on this agreement if you are what the family court considers a de facto couple by the time you are separating. The court will consider a variety of factors in determining whether you are a de facto couple whose property matters the family court has jurisdiction to deal with. Legislation defines a de facto relationship as one where two people have a relationship as a couple living together on a genuine domestic basis who are not married and not related by family.

The court looks at
    • duration of relationship
    • nature and extent of their common residence
    • sexual relationship
    • degree of financial dependence or interdependence
    • ownership, use and acquisition of property
    • degree of mutual commitment to a shared life
    • care and support of children, and
    • public aspects of their relationship.
    It is definitely safer and less hassle getting a binding financial agreement in place, rather than go through court, mediation or settlement negotiations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sjk

Sjk Member

Thanks, Victoria, I appreciate the information and help. If things go smoothly after 6 months I will look at organising a BFA, which I've discussed with her and thankfully she's fine with it.

Many thanks