NSW Binding Financial Agreement Costs

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sonofeevil

21 December 2020
Hey guys,

My ex and I have had a binding financial agreement written up and I'm really struggling to find a solicitor to give me the requisite legal advice to sign it. I'm getting costs from $2500-$4000 for a document that's already written which just seems exorbitant, I'm hoping someone could shed some light on why this is proving to be so costly?

For some more context, the agreement has been written already, there's no super changing hands, no spousal maintenance, no children involved and we have a house that's 20 days from settlement and the proceeds are being split 50/50. There's no negotiation required I literally just want to sign it. As far as agreements go, I think this one is about as simple as they get.

I'm having a hard time understanding why it's so expensive.

Any light someone could shed would be amazing.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

sammy01

27 September 2015
U'm solicitors are expensive. Yup. That's all I've got...
Nope - Those solicitor's kids go to expensive schools. Someone has to pay for that private education.
Yep. That's it.

sammy01

27 September 2015
cheaper option of superannuation isn't involved. Sell the house. Split the $ shake hands. Move on.