NSW Beneficiary Dies Before Distribution of Inheritance - What Now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Grieving NSW

18 June 2015
Hello.
My grandmother recently passed away, naming my mother as one of 5 beneficiaries "in equal shares as tenants in common" in her will. My mother predeceased her mother (my grandmother) who was a beneficiary. The other beneficiaries , my mother's siblings are telling me that the inheritance of the estate will now get divided by 4, and not the original 5, as stated in the will, as my mother is dead. I'm sure that they cannot just assume this as there are only 4 left in the will...is this correct?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thank you in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do you know if is there a residuary clause in the will?

Grieving NSW

18 June 2015
Thanks Tim.....is that where it states that if a beneficiary dies it goes to their estate?- or words to that effect?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hi
They may well be correct. If the will does not provide for you mother predeceasing your grandmother the estate will be divided 4 ways.
A well written will would provide for this situation if it were what the will writer wanted.

Do you have a copy of the will? Its all about the wording.

Grieving NSW

18 June 2015
Yes I have a copy of the will....its very short. 4 points only. 1. I revoke..., 2, I appoint ...3. Beneficiaries in equal shares as tenants in common, 4. My executor may in their discretion exercise powers....
Thankyou in advance

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hard to give many useful suggestions without seeing the will document.
Depending on the language of the will text (no, do not post it here),
you may be looking at a thing called a "partial intestacy",