QLD Being harrased by an agent

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Khus

13 June 2020
We own a unit which we put on sale in December. After months of trying we thought it would be best to rent it, so we asked our selling agent for their renting colleague's contact. But we had lost a lot of time in trying to sell so we wanted to rent it as quickly as possible. We spoke to our building's onsite manager who also an agent for the units of the same complex. We made it very clear to the agents that our priority was to sell, and because of the situation we would like to engage both agents to quickly rent. My onsite manager is not very professional and is criticized by everyone in the complex. We were in a hurry so we engaged him. This guy never signed a form 6 with us, and without our consent went ahead and signed a lease with a prospective tenant. We got to know about this when we called him to say that we had received an offer which we might consider. He then told us that he met with these people and that he thinks he has sold it to them. So now he wanted the other agent to pay him a cut. When he saw that didn't work out he started sending threating emails to us, saying he has already take the bind and that we need to speak to RTA. We later got to know that he had already given these tenants another place. Today we received another invoice for breaking the agreement and changing our mind. I don't know what to do ? Should I contact a lawyer? Where can I report him? I have a small baby at home so we don't have time for this mess.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Appointment has to be by way of Form 6. Dispute the invoice and ask him to provide a copy of the executed Form 6. State that if he doesn’t either withdraw the invoice or produce the Form 6 within 7 days, you’ll refer the matter to the REIQ (assuming he’s a member), and the Office of Fair Trading.