SA Bankruptcy - Will it Affect My De Facto Partner?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brooklyn

18 December 2014
Hi,

After a series of unfortunate events I am considering filing for bankruptcy.

I have looked at the forms & one of the questions is - Do you have a spouse & what is their income?
I am in what is classified as a "De Facto" relationship which I understand comes under the term "spouse" for the purpose of these forms.

My question is - if I declare our relationship & his income, will that also send him bankrupt or will he be in any way liable for my debts?

He has debts of his own & our finances are not intertwined, with the exception of rent/electricity. Also, neither of us earns over the income threshold limit.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Regards.

S

Sophea

Hi Brooklyn,

Yes a de facto partner is considered a spouse for the purposes of the Bankruptcy Act. What constitutes a de facto relationship is defined by the Family Law Act as a couple of the same or opposite sex who are in a relationship as a couple, living together on a genuine domestic basis.

Your partner will only be affected by your bankruptcy if he is a guarantor of your debts, or if he has joint debts with you or or jointly owns property with you which will vest in the trustee. Even if you benefit from the assets of your spouse who does not file for bankruptcy - i.e. if you live in his house those assets cannot be touched because they don't belong to you, the bankrupt.

Hope that helps.

Brooklyn

18 December 2014
Thank you for your replies.

To update after speaking with AFSA, it is only when your "spouse" has joint interest in property, assets or debt that the Bankruptcy may impact them. It is listed on the forms so they can ascertain whether your spouse may be classified as a "dependent" and in that case, the income threshold limit - the amount you can earn before your trustee will require you to make contributions to the bankrupt estate - increases.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Brooklyn,

Yes, the AFSA is correct. Further, it will impact them if the asset is jointly owned. In other cases, your partner should not be affected by your bankruptcy filing.