Bank of Melbourne home loan and personal account closed.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Skateboard

22 June 2017
My partner received notice from her bank informing her that her home loan and personal accounts would be closed. The letter stated that

- “a commercial decision was made and that the bank will no longer provide banking or financial services. The decision was made after careful consideration and with regret, it is not a comment on your conduct or any other aspect of your relationship with us. We hope you will appreciate that we are not able to provide you with any further information about our commercial imperatives”

a. My partner had a joint bank account with another family member Who she is estranged from
b. This family submitted fraudulent documents to the same bank and obtained a loan for approx 30 million dollars which the bank closed And asked to be repaid. Police were not involved And the loan was repaid.
c. Can my partner appeal the banks decision and obtain services from this bank who she has been dealing with for 20 years and find our why it was closed.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
They can try. The chances of being successful are slim to none. There's a spate of this sort of thing going on at the moment, and the banks are wise to not giving any explanation beyond a 'commercial decision'. That's a safe harbour for them.

LucianaPotts

22 May 2023
Hi, I just stumbled upon your thread, and I have to say it's weird that they won't give any specific reasons, but I guess that's just how big banks sometimes operate. As for appealing the decision, it's still worth a shot. Maybe try reaching out to a Mortgage Broker in Chelmsford to see if they have any advice or connections that could help. It's always good to have an expert on your side when dealing with this kind of stuff. Also, I know this post is super old, but I'm new to this forum and just trying to get involved in the conversation. Hope everything worked out for you and your partner in the end.

LucianaPotts

22 May 2023
Hi, I just stumbled upon your thread, and I have to say it's weird that they won't give any specific reasons, but I guess that's just how big banks sometimes operate. As for appealing the decision, it's still worth a shot. Maybe try reaching out to a Mortgage Broker in Chelmsford to see if they have any advice or connections that could help. It's always good to have an expert on your side when dealing with this kind of stuff.

angelawalshes

6 July 2023
Hello,

In this situation, it is recommended that your partner contacts the bank directly to discuss the closure of her accounts and seek further clarification. She can inquire about the possibility of appealing the decision and explore options to continue banking services with the bank she has been dealing with for 20 years. It's important to communicate her specific circumstances and express her desire to understand the reasons behind the closure.