NSW BAcking out of commercial lease

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bert gaston

11 December 2018
Hi folks,

I'm having a dilemma. I have been looking for a place to move for nine months. I wanted a live and work warehouse. It took me nine months to find one. I had to move quickly so i FOMO'd in and signed onto a lease with the property owner directly, not through an agent. On the first day of the lease I have an environmental inspection done. The place is full of damaged asbestos, black mould and other hazards.
As I have my family living in the space and employees to look after I could not go ahead with the lease. I informed the landlord of the asbestos. They went quiet for a week. When I followed it up, they countered that they had a report done and it wasn't picked up. I had my own report done. I have said I'm niot moving in and that's that. I'm doing some research but not sure what rights and responsibilities I have in this situation?

What do I need to do next? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Suspect you need a good NSW property lawyer to review the lease and advise you on your rights.

The lease will contain your rights.