AWS Mechanical Turk (hidden cost multiplier)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Toran

3 September 2019
Hi,

I recently used the AWS Mechanical Turk system, specifically 'Ground Truth'. Where, for a fee you send in a bunch of images (~500 in this case). People will then label the data by drawing boxes over the objects of interest that you specify.

Now it should've cost $100~$150 based on their estimates, however when i received a ~$610 bill i was shocked. After contacting them they told me that I had selected that for each image 5 different workers would make an attempt (which i didn't). Turns out, that in the job config, under a drop down menu that ONLY CONTAINS "number of workers" it defaults to 5 (not 1). For all intents and purposes this is hidden, given that it's titled "Additional config".

Anyway I'm having a dispute with them about it, and want to know the law here, cause this is so freaking dodgy. I mean Amazon is the king of dodgy tactics, but surely this is illegal in Australia with our consumer protection laws?

Cheers.

Normanow

20 July 2023
I stumbled upon this thread from four years ago and noticed your concern with the unexpected bill from AWS Mechanical Turk. Hidden costs can be quite frustrating, and it's unfortunate that you encountered this issue.