LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Australian Law - Serving Without Address?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Aleksey, 4 November 2015.

1. Aleksey

Aleksey Member

I was told that it is possible to serve without address.

I got two suggestions:

1) serve friends or relatives

2) serve by e-mail after getting refusal to provide address

Is this real? What are the legal terms for such types of serving under Australian Law?

Any other ideas?

2. Aleksey

Aleksey Member

Legal Aid thinks that I have too much money so I decided to represent myself as I am unemployed now. Also the police convinced my wife that I want to kill her and created the AVO that says that I can only communicate with my wife through my legal representative.

Does this mean that I cannot communicate at all if I decide to represent myself? Lawyers want 5000 and more to represent me. Is it possible to find a lawyer who could represent me only for sending a couple of messages? I just want to send a letter to my wife telling that I love her, etc.

How can I do that without paying 5000 dollars?

3. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

Have you appealed to Legal Aid if your circumstances have now changed?

Unfortunately, you could get yourself into a lot of trouble (more so than now) if you contact your wife by any other means than what is in the AVO.

Have you contacted a criminal lawyer and asked their costs to represent you writing a letter and defending an AVO?

4. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

All Writ of Summons/Originating Processes must be served personally.
    To effect personal service - a writ can be

a) personally served on the Defendant (meaning give it to them); or
    b) leave it addressed to the Defendant at their place of business or residential address;

5. Derekmck

Derekmck Member

I am in the same boat. How I communicate with the ex is through her lawyer. This is a massive problem in itself. 1 letter took 3 weeks to get to her. It's a real pain as some information is very important and takes days to weeks for the other party to respond.

Don't send I love you letters, it will blow up in your face. I spent 12 months in Gaol for intimidation for saying I love you, if she's scared and you say 'Hello', that's intimidation, that's how the judge explained to me why I love you turned into a holiday in Gaol for me.

Be very careful brother, these are the times to keep level headed for you children's sake.