VIC Australian Law - Self-immolation of Monks as Protest?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Benjamin

22 March 2017
Hi,

I was curious to know if it is legal under Australian law for a monk to self immolate in protest against slavery, child exploitation & corruption here in Melbourne.

Thanks

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Benjamin,

I can't imagine the monk would be too concerned if it was illegal or not. That said in your State of Victoria the act of suicide is no longer a crime in accordance with the Crimes Act 1958 sect 6A. CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 6A Suicide no longer a crime

It get a bit more complicated and I'm not inclined to research every piece of state and territory legislation for a hypothetical but Wiki suggest this is the current state of suicide decriminalisation

Australian Capital Territory - Crimes Act 1900 (ACT) s 16
New South Wales - Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) s 31A
Northern Territory - Criminal Code (NT) s 186 (repealed)
Queensland - Criminal Code 1899 (Qld) s 312 (repealed by Criminal Law Amendment Act (1979) s 4)
South Australia - Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1932 (SA) s 13A
Tasmania - Criminal Code 1924 (Tas) s 163
Victoria - Crimes Act 1958 (Vic) s 6A
Western Australia - Criminal Code 1899 (WA) s 289 (repealed)

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Feel sure the police will find a charge somewhere - if he survives - eg endangering the public, public nuisance, etc. Suspect there will be at least a half dozen laws that can be used.

If the council wants to get picky there are likely bylaws against starting fires in a public space, and pollution ie deliberately pouring petrol on the road/footpath.

General just a bad idea all round. There are better ways to get attention without traumatising bystanders.

Last edited:

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's also inconsistent with Buddhist teaching.
Also, nobody in your intended audience will care.
Don't do it.

Benjamin

22 March 2017
I have attempted it twice. One time at a petrol station. The second time I sent an email saying I was going to ignite myself in protest as a form of free speech, I call myself a "work of art" and not a human man. I protected myself with the ten commandments & relinquished none of my rights. Stating I chose to be a master of my own destiny. That my Image and likeness us for sale. Advertised as a V.E.P

They have admitted me to the psychiatric ward both times.

They foiled my plan so to speak.

Also as a known quantity. I once was a clothes horse....

Lance

31 October 2015
Benjamin,

If you tried to ignite yourself at a petrol station it would seem you were intent on harming more than yourself. Not to mention what you would be doing to those who care about you. Please go back to the psychiatric ward and sort out how you are feeling.