Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Australian Law - Overseas During Court Date - Court Attendance Notice?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by supershred, 1 May 2016.

1. supershred

supershred Member

Would it be possible under Australian Law to present a Court Attendance Notice via my lawyer if I have obligations to travel overseas at the time?

I was charged with being in breach of travel arrangements for a cruise line at the time. I didn't give enough notice, however, did manage to get all the information to the local police before departing Sydney and reported when I returned.

Thank you :)

2. Piers Blomfield

Piers Blomfield Well-Known Member

Unless you are on bail to attend having a lawyer appear in your absence for a mention date is allowed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. supershred

supershred Member

Thank you. I've been doing some reading and have seen that I can write a letter requesting an adjournment for when I return to Australia but I'll still be seeking a lawyers assistance in the matter so I don't make any mistakes that may lead to more problems.

4. Serge Gorval

Serge Gorval Well-Known Member

^ Good idea with the above. What were you charged with out of curiosity and are you pleading guilty/ not guilty?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...