SA Australian Law on Lack of Clothing Outdoors?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NatureGirl

22 April 2016
I am writing to ask an uncomfortable question. My friend and I are into bondage and want to escalate our role play from the bedroom to an outdoors scenario.

If we were to role play in a secluded parkland where we will be tied up to a tree without any clothes on, for example, is there any legal matters in Australian Law we need to know about and what would happen if the police came along?

S

Sophea

Hi, yes if it is a public place then there are several offences which may apply.

(1) Indecent behaviour in a public place or while visible from a public place. Maximum penalty: $1,250 or 3 months imprisonment. This includes indecently exposing oneself in a public place. You can only be nude in waters or areas adjacent to waters that are reserved for nude bathing.

(2) Gross indecency - which is where someone who in a public place or while visible from a public place or from occupied premises willfully does a grossly indecent act whether alone or with another person. Maximum penalty: $2 500 or 6 months imprisonment. If this is done in the presence of a minor (under 16) other offences apply.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @Sophea.

It's also important to remember that it's "could have been seen",
not "was actually seen".