VIC Australian Law - Lying About Being Married Just to Have Sex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sonay

5 November 2016
Hello,

Can someone tell me, if a guy lies to a chick about being married just so he can have sex, is that against Australian Law?

sonay

5 November 2016
Thanks for your reply.

If she knew he was married, there is no way she would have agreed to sleep with him. So isn't she being coerced into sex thinking that guy is single? He is pretending to be someone he is not.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
I agree that she is misled but it happens all the time ie "I am rich, I am a business owner, I own 4 houses". However the actual act was by consent.

Reactions: sonay

sonay

5 November 2016
I agree that she is misled but it happens all the time ie "I am rich, I am a business owner, I own 4 houses". However the actual act was by consent.

Oh, really then why did I think it's against the law? I'm sure I read it somewhere before. But the actual act was by consent for a single guy, not a married one. I know I read about it somewhere but can't remember. Is it against the law anywhere else in the world?

Alert

7 June 2019
The guy could easily say he was separated, still in a marriage, but separated.
Just say that is the case, the guy is waiting for a divorce and the wife is refusing to sign the divorce papers, that can’t mean the guy can’t have sexual relationships can it?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Well here's a zany take on it for a bit of fun...

A marriage is a contract that is governed by the Commonwealth Marriage Act.
The Marriage Act defines "marriage" as "the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life."

Therefore anyone who has sex with another person while still married, can be sued for breach of contract!

Reactions: sonay and Alert

sonay

5 November 2016
The guy could easily say he was separated, still in a marriage, but separated.
Just say that is the case, the guy is waiting for a divorce and the wife is refusing to sign the divorce papers, that can’t mean the guy can’t have sexual relationships can it?

No but he didn't say he was seperated he said he is forced to get married to a girl he didn't want to marry but because his family wanted him to marry her he was going to get married.....