NSW Australian Law - Emails of Intimidation and Discrimination - Civil Matter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

vader

7 February 2016
Hi,

I'm getting intimidating and discriminating emails and I reported it to the police. They have said it's a civil matter because we are on a private carriageway. Is this correct under Australian Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Need more information. Not sure how email and private carriageway (ie private road) go together.

vader

7 February 2016
Rod,

There are 7 properties on the road which is private the person in question is a declared vexatious litigate by the supreme court. She has been sending emails about us to us and to third parties, well known to the police. I'm thinking it's all too hard for them just trying to find out what we can do.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Police are trying to fob you off. They are not correct.

A private road and email are are completely unrelated to each other. You can be in the next room to each, but sending emails to each other uses a telecommunications service and this is covered under various commonwealth and state laws. The nature of the harassment will determine which law to use.