QLD Australian Law - Difference Between 'Sealed' and ' Suppressed' Witness Statements?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jarrahli

2 November 2015
Under Australian Law, is there a difference between a witness statement that has been sealed by the judge and a witness statement that is subject to a suppression order, in regard to what is allowed to be published from that statement?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Sealed means it has been stamped with the Court seal and accepted into evidence. It doesn't mean sealed, as in closed and nobody can look at it. A suppression order, on the other hand, restricts the publication of the document.

Jarrahli

2 November 2015
The DPP has stated that my statement was not subject to a suppression order but the Magistrates court has stated that my statement is sealed and can only be opened by a magistrate or judge

Jarrahli

2 November 2015
The DPP has stated that my statement was not subject to a suppression order but the Magistrates court has stated that my statement is sealed and can only be opened by a magistrate or judge[/Q
The DPP has stated that my statement was not subject to a suppression order but the Magistrates court has stated that my statement is sealed and can only be opened by a magistrate or judge
So is the Magistrates court saying that my statement is part of a suppression order? If it is suppressed, what recourse do I have when someone publishes the information from my statement without my consent?