SA Australian Law - Am I Entitled to a Copy of a Letter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

amen423

6 March 2015
I am a member of a committee, and another committee has written a letter to the Chairperson and my name is mentioned in that letter.

Am I entitled to a copy of the letter under Australian Law?

S

Sophea

In what way was your name mentioned? Why do you want a copy of the letter? I am not aware of any law that would entitle you to a copy of a letter simply because it mentions your name without further information.

amen423

6 March 2015
My name is mentioned as I had previously sent the writer and other committee members an email and the writer of the letter mentioned my name and then went on to say how my email was harsh, vindicitive and unjust.

The writer also went on to say that they will be seeking restitution and compensation for defamation and malicious intent from me.

I want a copy of the letter as proof of what was written about me and also for reference when the writer takes legal action against me.

S

Sophea

You will be entitled to a copy of the letter if they take action against you for defamation and they are relying on the letter as evidence, however before then I see no reason why you would be legally entitled to the letter.

amen423

6 March 2015
Thanks very much for your answer, as that confirms as to what my thoughts were but I wanted it verified.