NSW Australian Extended Warranty Purchase.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

greg478

22 February 2018
Hi There,

Can a importer sell extended warranty for their branded product? E.g If we offered 2 years manufactures warranty with your purchase and you wanted an addition 2 years extended warranty for piece of mind can this be bought?

I know Harvey Normans sell this kind of stuff but I am wondering if a manufacture/importer can also offer this direct to the customer?

Your advise would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Greg

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Yes, but you are still subject to the Australian Consumer Law - particularly with regards to the consumer guarantees.

See here: Warranties

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Extended Warranties are often (usually) an insurance product.
"Free Extended Warranties" often (usually) have the premium included
(undisclosed) in the retail price.
These products often come with a complex web of conditions and exceptions
(often in very small print).

Personally, (having been in the motor trade some years before I became a lawyer)
I think they're a con.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL

greg478

22 February 2018
Yes, but you are still subject to the Australian Consumer Law - particularly with regards to the consumer guarantees.

See here: Warranties
Would we have to put specifics in the terms of the extended warranty? Is this a service you offer in assisting in drawing something up?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Extended warranties must absolutely be specific. They often end up being the source of a dispute, and being in the consumer field are something that government regulators may police.

If you make contact through the LawTap link in my signature, we can have a look at the specifics and discuss what you may need.

Reactions: Tim W