QLD Australian Consumer Law - Sue for False Advertising of Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Phill

5 January 2016
Under Australian Consumer Law, can I sue someone for advertising a car that is not what they say it is (i.e.; AC cobra for sale 60.000 when in fact it is a replica, not an original!)?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Did you buy the replica?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Then you have no cause of action. If you buy the car knowing it is a replica then you may not be able to recover costs.

The law is there to protect people who have been ripped off. The ACCC or relevant state department may be able to take action before the sale but individuals/businesses cannot sue for potential losses they may incur, especially when they can take action to avoid the losses.

Phill

5 January 2016
Then you have no cause of action. If you buy the car knowing it is a replica then you may not be able to recover costs.

The law is there to protect people who have been ripped off. The ACCC or relevant state department may be able to take action before the sale but individuals/businesses cannot sue for potential losses they may incur, especially when they can take action to avoid the losses.

Even though he has it advertised as a AC Cobra not a replica ?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Where is your loss? No loss, no damages, no case.

We don't get to sue anyone/everyone we see breaking a law when there is no impact on us. All you can do is report them to the relevant authority.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you want a real Cobra, then don't buy the replica.

And no, I don't see where you have any basis to sue anybody.