NSW Australian Consumer Law - Recovering Money Spent on Chat Site?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

steve45y

14 March 2017
I have a question. I joined a online dating site about 2 years ago and in 2 years, I have spent approx. $15,000 AUD communicating with a woman from Ukraine. That dating site guarantees all the women registered on that dating site is looking for love and the site - "100% satisfaction guarantee!"

The website also states "We totally prohibit any payments to women", so recently after my long correspondence with a woman on the site, I requested the email address to her agency in her home city so I can start arranging a meeting with her. I was provided a email address to her agency.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the agency her profile is registered with is employing the woman to works as "models", talking to men online for a financial payments. I contacted the dating site and I forwarded all the evidence I have "screenshots" and the dating site banned that lady from the website but they are denying she ever works for that agency.

What actions under Australian Consumer Law can be take to help recover the money I used on the chat site?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Who did you pay the money to, how did you pay it, and under what circumstances? Where are the website owner's based?

"100% satisfaction guarantee!" may be considered just sales puff and not legally actionable.

Hard to know if your action is against the website, the agency or the girl.

Call911

19 March 2017
Obviously the company is overseas, who would run a dating site from Australia anyway. One thing you could possibly do, is issue a chargeback to your credit card provider for the last 3 months, however you would need to supply evidence that this is a scam. I'd write this down as a bad experience, don't look back and find a Thai woman :)