QLD Australian Consumer Law - Owner of Backpackers Asked Me to Leave?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rowan

18 August 2017
I'm booked into a backpackers in Yeppoon and paid for until the 24/1/19. I've just returned to the hostel from the beach to find the owner asking me to leave tonight for these reasons:

Last night I used aromatherapy in the dorm without realising how strong it was, and one of the other dorm persons considered this to be too upsetting to be tolerated even though I left the dorm for almost an hour till the aroma was milder.

Also, a crystal fell off my top bunk to the floor two mornings ago and this also has upset her even though it was 30cm clear of the lower bunk.

Also, as I didn't realise that another dorm person in the communal area was speaking to me when she called out to someone "do you want a mango?", my rudeness at not answering is also too upsetting.

These other backpackers have been openly laughing at myself being upset and now insist to the owner that they will have to leave the hostel if I sleep another night in the dorm.

So I am expected to find another hostel that I can afford by tomorrow. Refund will be given I'm told.
Is this legal under Australian Consumer Law?

This is urgent please.

Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Recommend you get your refund and put the situation behind you.

I'm not saying you are, just pointing out what the hostel manager will say - it can be argued you are a safety risk to other guests. Producing a strong odour indoors may induce sickness/allergies in others, dropping a rock could injure another person (I have no idea how large the crystal is but feel sure it would likely be exaggerated in weight).

But I suspect you may appear a 'bit different' to others and this is likely to be the real unprovable reason. Examine your behaviours and analyse what is different and make more effort to blend in. It is hard for some people to do this but worth the effort if you plan in staying in shared accomodation.

Rowan

18 August 2017
Recommend you get your refund and put the situation behind you.

I'm not saying you are, just pointing out what the hostel manager will say - it can be argued you are a safety risk to other guests. Producing a strong odour indoors may induce sickness/allergies in others, dropping a rock could injure another person (I have no idea how large the crystal is but feel sure it would likely be exaggerated in weight).

But I suspect you may appear a 'bit different' to others and this is likely to be the real unprovable reason. Examine your behaviours and analyse what is different and make more effort to blend in. It is hard for some people to do this but worth the effort if you plan in staying in shared accomodation.

Well yes, I've done just that and am on my way to a new destination, so that's fine. As for being "different", I don't think that's what this is about.

I'll just remember the beautiful beach and that's all there is to it.

Thanks for your reply.