NSW Australian Consumer Law on Invoicing Clients for Over $1000?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Richie

15 October 2016
i would like to know the Australian Consumer law around invoicing to a client for over $1000. My understanding is that you need to have the buyer and seller name or ABN on the invoice, however, what if the buyer wants to remain anonymous? Surely the seller can write an invoice without the name of the buyer (except a code like 4300-2568-car sale) for say $5000 to the buyer?

I would like to understand how enforced this law is.

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What's the background to your question?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
An invoice is a legal document that is a claim for money.

If the deal goes sour for any reason the seller needs the buyer's name so he can enforce a claim against the buyer. Having a code name is unlikely to identify a legal identity against whom the seller can make a claim.

Seller is within their rights to insist on the buyer's name (individual or business) on the invoice.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
The only time you would sensibly produce an anonymous invoice is for a cash sale.
And even then, it would depend on the product or service, and the circumstances.
(for example, it's one thing to be discreet about the purchase of a gift,
but it's potentially another thing entirely to try and conceal the identity of a party to a transaction).

If it's a sale in trade or commerce (no matter sole trader or other entity),
and that entity (you) is registered for GST, then you'll need to produce a Tax Invoice anyway.