VIC Australian Consumer Law - Obligated to Pay for Unwanted Tyre?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DaleA76

25 September 2016
Hi

I needed a new tyeare today and went to a local shop. I only needed 1 tire and the guy said, "No we can't let you leave without replacing 2 tyeares", even though only 1 tyeare had a puncture.

I wasn't happy about this, but he went ahead and put a used tyeare on (which is the wrong size and type but just a temporary fix on the one that needed replacing). He then took me inside the shop and we argued over price, he tried charging me a very high price, he also say he needed to order the tyeare in and it will be 2 days.

I told him I would have to think about it cause it's lot of money. Before I left, he got angry and said, "I've replaced your tire with a used one and if you don't use my shop to replace your 2 tyeares, I'll charge you $50 for the used tire I put on. But if you do come back and order the 2 tyeares, it's free."

(This feels like some sort of blackmail)

I couldn't do anything because of the way he steered me into it - the tyeare had already been replaced and they chucked the old one away so it's not like I can say, "OK I don't agree put my old damaged tyeare back on".

I don't think I should have to pay this - What should I do under Australian Consumer Law? Obviously, getting legal advice isn't feasible.

DaleA76

25 September 2016
Sorry, I should mention - the whole reason he put the used tyeare on was because he said it would be 2 days before the ordered tyeare came in, BUT he put this on before I said I would go ahead and before he even told me the price. Then after he told me the very high price, he said, "if you don't use us - we charge you $50 for the tyeare."

DaleA76

25 September 2016
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to go to another store. I guess I still have to return the temporary tyeare they put on though so what do I say when I go back to the store and he tries to ask for payment?

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Don't go back there. Go to a reputable store, mention what happened and the name of the business and have them remove the temporary tyeare.

This guy tried to take you down.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
I wouldn't bother. A second-hand tyeare and he's trying to hold you to ransom. What he's doing is wrong. You had a puncture which is a routine matter that tire shops handle every day. He demands to fit two new tires and charge you the earth.

No way. You can hang onto the temporary tire for a bit and see what happens, but don't go back there.