WA Australian Consumer Law - Invoice for Fences Twice the Quote?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

antiscab

11 March 2016
Hi Guys,

Around September last year, one of my neighbours approached me about removing an asbestos fence and installing a new colourbond fence on the boundary wall. They suggested it would cost $2500 or $1250 each

I agreed at the time both to the fence change over and to paying for half the cost of the fence. My neighbour has removed the old fence himself and cleared the surrounding area in preparation for the new fence.

In October, the new fence was installed. In January, I enquire as to how to pay my share (all good so far). In February, I am presented with an invoice for $2550. The total for the colourbond fence was $5100 (31 metres x ~$160/M)

Problem - the written invoice from the fencing company is twice the amount quoted to me by my neighbour. Additionally, the usually installed cost of colourbond fencing is ~$80/M

Today, I approached the fencing company to get an idea of why the invoice was so high (I was expecting an admin error where I was invoiced for 31 Lengths rather than 31 metres). Their response thus far has been to simply resend the invoice with, this time for 34 metres at ~$150/M (A bit perplexing given the boundary is only 31 metres long)

What recourse would I have to dispute the value of the invoice under Australian Consumer Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Wonder if your neighbour is friends with the fencer and is getting you to pay the full cost?

What state are you in?

antiscab

11 March 2016
The thought had crossed my mind

I'm rather wishing I had a written quote rather than just the verbal one my neighbour gave me.

The neighbour replaced their boundary fences on all 3 sides - the bookkeeper at the fencing company did tell me there was a payment schedule with the other neighbours, though I haven't sighted it

I'm in WA.

The situation is somewhat more difficult, as I'm seeking council approval to build a granny flat to his boundary, which will likely require his consent.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe a quid pro quo is needed then.

Suspect you have a good case to dispute the fencing cost but maybe you can barter that for his approval of a granny flat. Tough one for someone online to answer.

Arche

20 March 2015
I suggest you look at the Western Australian Dividing Fences Act eg section 8. Also the WA department of commerce website has a booklet dated 2014 specifically about dividing fences. It might help to see a solicitor who can give you more specific advice with all the information in front of them.