WA Australian Consumer Law - Increasing Price of Service from Written Quote?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Taz

24 October 2015
I received a fixed price quote for a furniture move. Part way through the job, the business owner complained that the job was taking too long and tried to make me pay more money over the phone. Later when the job was half done, he again rang me and said I would have to pay more money. The truck he provided for the transport of my furniture was battling to do 40kms an hour up the hills according to the driver. It therefore took a lot longer to complete the job.

When the men had finished unloading the furniture in a lifestyle village at midnight the driver was paid cash for the agreed amount of the quote for the job had been completed. The owner told the driver not to take his truck off the village grounds until I had paid an extra $550.

I never agreed to pay the extra money and I told the owner I was not happy that he was trying to charge more money because the job was taking longer than he thought it would in his initial quote. I said I would talk to him once the job had been completed as I felt bullied and threatened as he was badgering me for more money while my household goods were stuck on the back of his truck between country towns.

What do I do under Australian Consumer Law when the business increases the price of a service from the written quote?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Do you have written evidence of the fixed price quote you received? e.g. in an email?

Did he come to your place to size up what you had to move and where to prior to giving the quote?

Once you have obtained a written quote (not an estimation) - then that quote becomes legally binding and they cannot alter it without your consent.

Reactions: Taz

Taz

24 October 2015
Yes I have a written email confirming the price in the quote. Yesterday he threatened me with court action for not paying the extra money then had his driver ring and tell me that his pay was being withheld until I pay the extra money.